Community Trust ScoreVerified
BitMart’s Chinese-language social media account is pushing hard. It wants founder Sheldon Xia to produce a repayment plan by August 19 — or face more evidence submissions to regulators and the press.
The account posted publicly on Monday, demanding Xia lay out the full picture: wallets, assets, liabilities, available reserves. All of it, verifiable. The author of the post isn’t identified, and it’s genuinely unclear whether BitMart still controls the account at all. That detail alone makes the whole situation murky — you can’t tell if this is an internal revolt, a disgruntled former employee, or something else entirely. The post claims some users can’t withdraw their funds and that certain employees never received final paychecks. Those are serious allegations, and they’re sitting in public view on an official-looking account with no clarification from the company itself.
Xia Calls It All Fabricated
Sheldon Xia didn’t stay quiet. He shot back fast, calling the allegations “fabricated rumors.” He said he’d file a police report and send a legal notice directly to the social media platform, requesting technical and data forensics. He also pushed back on the suggestion that employees were somehow prioritized over customers when it came to asset handling — insisting all parties are treated as clients, no preferential treatment. Xia has said similar things before. He’s previously refuted claims of misappropriating user assets and warned people not to trust unverified information circulating online.
Whether that’s enough to calm anyone down is a different question. Probably not.
The wallet numbers are hard to ignore. Arkham tracked BitMart’s crypto holdings at roughly $36.5 million on Monday. On July 26 — the same day the exchange announced it was shutting down — those wallets held approximately $71 million. That’s a drop of around $34.5 million in a matter of weeks. The exact reason for the decline isn’t clear. Could be customer withdrawals. Could be asset consolidation, internal transfers, something else. BitMart hasn’t broken it down. No details on where that money went or why.
The Shutdown Timeline
BitMart announced on July 26 that it planned to close the exchange. Trading stops on August 26. Full operations wind down by January 31. The company has already halted new deposits and registrations, and it warned that some withdrawals might face additional reviews before going through. That last part has frustrated users who just want their money out and keep hitting friction in the process.
The BMX token — BitMart’s native token — took a sharp hit around the time of the closure announcement. The exchange’s decision to stop taking new users and deposits is part of the broader shutdown strategy, but it’s basically made things worse for people trying to exit. You can’t bring new money in, and getting existing money out is reportedly a headache for some.
And the social media situation adds another layer of chaos. BitMart hasn’t said anything publicly about who’s running the Chinese-language account that posted the ultimatum. That silence is doing a lot of damage on its own. Users and employees watching these posts go up — with deadlines and threats to go to regulators — and getting zero response from the company about whether any of it is even authorized. That’s not a great look.
The deadline is August 19. If Xia doesn’t provide verifiable financial information by then, whoever controls that account says they’ll keep feeding evidence to regulators and media outlets. Whether that actually happens, and what “evidence” means in this context, isn’t spelled out.
What Stakeholders Are Watching
Crypto exchange collapses aren’t new. The industry has seen its share of platforms go dark with user funds stuck inside, and the pattern tends to follow a familiar script — withdrawal delays, vague statements, founder denials, then a scramble for answers. BitMart’s situation has some of those same elements, even if the specifics are different.
The $36.5 million still sitting in tracked wallets is probably the number most users care about right now. Whether it’s accessible, whether it covers outstanding obligations, and how it gets distributed during the wind-down — none of that has been clearly addressed. Xia’s assurances haven’t fully landed with stakeholders, and the company’s silence on the social media account question keeps feeding the uncertainty.
January 31 is still months away. A lot can happen between now and then.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the August 19 deadline about at BitMart?
BitMart’s Chinese-language social media account demanded that founder Sheldon Xia present a repayment plan and disclose wallets, assets, liabilities, and reserves by August 19, threatening to submit evidence to regulators and media if he doesn’t comply.
How much crypto does BitMart still hold in its wallets?
According to Arkham tracking data, BitMart’s wallets held roughly $36.5 million as of Monday, down from approximately $71 million on July 26 when the exchange announced its closure.
Why It Matters
The demand for transparency from BitMart's founder comes at a time when trust in cryptocurrency exchanges is fragile, particularly following a series of high-profile incidents involving mismanagement and security breaches. This ultimatum not only underscores the urgent need for accountability within the crypto space but may also influence regulatory scrutiny, as the market grapples with establishing clearer operational standards and safeguarding investor interests. The potential fallout from this situation could further impact investor confidence and market stability, particularly if the repayment plan fails to materialize or if it reveals deeper financial issues within the exchange.
